Mail Order Phone:
Manchester Superstore:
Store Hours:
0161-902-3026
0161-998-8523
Click for Store Hours
Home > Blog > Carbon Monoxide awareness campaign launched in memory of Hannah Thomas-Jones and others

Carbon Monoxide awareness campaign launched in memory of Hannah Thomas-Jones and others

Carbon Monoxide awareness campaign launched in memory of Hannah Thomas-Jones and others
Synopsis:

The charity Carbon Monoxide Awareness is launching a campaign to raise awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning from barbecues.


Category: Blog Posted: 02/08/2012 09:42 Views: 2139 Comments: 0 [Post]


“Don’t risk your life by taking a barbecue into your tent”

A message from the charity Carbon Monoxide Awareness

The charity Carbon Monoxide Awareness is launching a campaign to raise awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning from barbecues.

The campaign in memory of 14 year old Wilmslow schoolgirl Hannah Thomas-Jones and others who lost their lives to carbon monoxide from barbecues or camping lamps will be launched in the House of Commons on Tuesday 10 July.

The launch event will be hosted on behalf of the charity by Weaver Vale MP Graham Evans. The campaign is a joint venture between Carbon Monoxide Awareness (charity) and Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service. It is supported by a number of major retailers including Tesco, Morrison’s, Homebase, B & Q and Dunelm Mill who have pledged to put up point-of-sale notices in their stores for barbecue equipment.

Lynn Griffiths, President of Carbon Monoxide Awareness, said: “Already this year there have been a number of camping fatalities and serious injuries resulting from people taking barbecue equipment inside their tents”. These products are designed solely for outdoor use and should not be used in enclosed spaces such as tents, caravans, campervans or home conservatories. Modern tents are designed as an integral structure with built-in groundsheets and carbon monoxide gases can rise to fatal levels in a matter of minutes if portable or disposable barbecues are used inside for heating purposes.

Carbon monoxide (CO) is difficult to detect because it is colourless and has no taste or smell. People often don’t realise that they are being overcome by fumes until it is too late. We shall be working with Fire and Rescue services across the UK to get educational and awareness packs to the UK holiday industry for the benefit of holiday-makers.

We shall also be targeting campsite owners and their staff with information on how to recognise the presence of carbon monoxide in enclosed tented areas caravans. We’ve seen too much tragic loss of life and we want to avoid it in future.

Lynn went on to say “I would like every MP to warn their constituents about the possible dangers of carbon monoxide in the home and when going away on holiday. We don’t want to see another death or injury from a barbecue during a music festival, Olympics or summer holidays.

We are also campaigning to have carbon monoxide advice prominently displayed on the packaging of barbecue’s and tents and our politicians can be very influential in making this happen.”

Exposure to the gas reduces the blood’s capacity to carry oxygen, thereby causing the vital organs to fail. Early symptoms are similar to flu or food poisoning, but these worsen as more of the gas is breathed in and CO concentrations in the blood increase. Anyone who suspects that they may be suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning should turn off all appliances, go outside and seek help from a qualified healthcare professional.

Chester Bidmead, the managing director of Hentland Group stated, this launch is critical to ensuring that the awareness of carbon monoxide poisoning is broadcast into everyone’s lives. The importance of this campaign cannot be over emphasised and we are proud to be supporting this charity.

For more information or to donate visit http://www.covictim.org/


Comments on Carbon Monoxide awareness campaign launched in memory of Hannah Thomas-Jones and others

Be the first to comment on this entry!

Share comments

Your Name: *
Comments: *
Please Note: HTML Markup will be automatically removed.
The ability to post urls has been disabled by the site administrator.
*
Type the characters you see in the picture:

*